By By Daniel Keane and Camron Slessor

Another disgustingly biased domestic violence campaign  is launched.

The Federal Government has clearly forgotten and/or decided to ignore the rising suicide levels amongst boys and men. Campaigns of this kind are not only damaging to the psyche of young boys and men, but clearly ignore the significant numbers of males who are victims of female violence. Where are the progams to instruct girls and women to curb their violence? There aren’t any! Where are the refuges for boys and men suffering from domestic violence?There aren’t any! Where are the counselling programs for boys and men suffering from domestic violence? There aren’t any, …just programs for anger management! Men’s Rights Agency

Posted

A new Federal Government campaign aimed at preventing violence against women and children will target the “boys being boys” attitude that still permeates society at a grassroots level.

Key points:

  • Second phase of domestic violence campaign launched by Federal Government
  • New advertisements focus on changing attitudes and respectful relationships
  • Government says more than two-thirds of adults who saw the previous ads took action

Phase two of the $30 million Stop it at the Start campaign has been launched today at the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) National Summit on Reducing Violence Against Women and Children, which is currently being held in Adelaide.

As part of the campaign, advertising on television, radio, in print, online, in cinemas and on social media will be rolled out from Sunday.

“While not all disrespect ends with violence, the cycle of violence certainly starts with disrespect,” Minister for Women Kelly O’Dwyer said.

“It’s good to remember that our behaviour is a powerful influence on others, particularly the young.

“Throwaway comments like ‘it’s just boys being boys’ or ‘he did it because he likes you’ can make young people think disrespect is a normal part of growing up. We need to ask ourselves — is that what we meant?”

The Stop it at the Start campaign was launched in 2016, and the Federal Government said a previous series of ads rolled out two years ago were “viewed over 43 million times online, with hundreds of thousands of shares on social media”.

The Government said after the first phase of the campaign in 2016, its research had found that more than two-thirds of adults who saw the ads took some form of action.

Minister says women need to feel safe

Ms O’Dwyer said the advertisements and the new campaign would challenge the way people act and show the link between disrespect and violence against women.

“As a community we need to have zero tolerance for violence against women,” she told the ABC.

“Women need to be able to be safe in their homes, in their communities, online and also in their work places.

“It’s very squarely focused on having adults ask the question, are we teaching our children disrespect?

“Young people take so much from the adults around them, from the statements they make and the behaviours they display.

“This will prompt people to have conversations. Changing attitudes and behaviours take time but we know that with a concerted effort it can have a huge impact.”

She said the statistics on the issue showed that one in six women had experienced physical or sexual violence by a current or former partner since the age of 15.

Those figures increased to nearly one in four women when violence by boyfriends, girlfriends and dates were included.

“It’s also concerning that one in four young people are prepared to excuse violence from a partner,” she said.

Talking about respectful relationships important

Minister for Families and Social Services Paul Fletcher said the first phase had been highly effective and the second phase was aimed at making a change within the community.

He said the second phase would also look into and showcase how words and actions could be misinterpreted by young people.

“Violence against women and their children takes a huge toll, and the human cost is incalculable,” he said.

“The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare reported that on average, almost eight women were hospitalised each day in 2014-15 from assaults by current or former spouses or domestic partners.

“It’s important to know that we can help stop it at the start. Each of us can play a role by intervening when we see disrespectful behaviour, or talking to our kids about respectful relationships.”

The campaign is an initiative under the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children 2010-2022.

It is jointly funded by national and state governments and will be supported by online tools that can be found at www.respect.gov.au.

Leave a Reply